The Corbyn family in Worcestershire, England
Eymore House, near Upper Arley, Worcestershire - home of a branch of the Corbyn family for over 200 years
Eymore, the house and its surrounding woodland, Eymore Park, was leased by the Corbyn family from the Dean and Chapter of Worcester Cathedral, who used Eymore Park as their hunting preserve. Although within the parish of Kidderminster Foreign, Eymore was much closer to the church of St Peter in Upper Arley than to St Mary in Kidderminster, so the family tended to worship at the nearer church. The head of the family held the offices of woodward (e.g. John Corbin about 1660) and gamekeeper (e.g. Thomas Corbyn in 1790).
Eymore Rapid marked the upper limit of navigation on the River Severn. Thus timber from Eymore's oak trees could be shipped out down this river.
The earliest record found of a Corbyn in the area is the christening on November 30, 1576, at St Peter, Upper Arley, of William Corbyn's son Samuel.
Samuel's eldest son, John, bought the estate (301½ acres, with 1558 fine timber oaks ranging in value from 40 to 9 shillings apiece) from the Cathedral in 1649 (during the Commonwealth, England's period of republican government following the execution of Charles I) for over £3000, but was forced to return it and revert to being a lessee upon restoration of the monarchy in 1660. In 1656 John Corbyn was one of the Tax Commissioners for the county of Worcester.
Six sons and a daughter of John and his wife Anne, born between 1626 and 1642, have been identified. Corbyn Morris was a grandson of the youngest of these, Joseph Corbyn. Because of frequent use of the same first names, most family relationships beyond 1642 still need further work.
The last of the family to live at Eymore, Thomas Corbyn who died November 1, 1811, aged 57, is commemorated by a plaque on the north wall of St Peter's, having bequeathed money for the poor of that parish. He was the last surviving son of a later Joseph Corbyn and his wife Ann. On June 14, 1743, Joseph Corbyn was elected Feoffee of the Free Grammar School of Kidderminster, as had been William Corbyn on October 7, 1725, and John Corbyn on October 10, 1634.
Eymore was demolished about 1964 for the creation of Trimpley Reservoir.